Saturday, June 16, 2012

Daddy Bear

I am the luckiest daughter in the world.

My father is the one who always took care of me when I was sick, braided my hair for ballet class before twisting it up into a bun, and taught me to sing "Big John" after school in the car ride home from the sitters. 

He taught me to sharpen a knife on a wet stone, how to carve a pumpkin, how to use a drill, how to pitch a tint, and how to make my bed the right way. 

He showed me how to love someone because of the way he loves my Mom. 

He passed along his love for raw oysters on the half shell, the love of cooking for others, and the joy of a hand written note.

He always found my hair pins with the bottom of his foot.  He has passed this on as I always find a sticker, or a shard of glass, or a pebble with mine.

He was my first dance, wore a plastic tie to the sock hop in elementary school, saw me off to my school dances, danced with me at my wedding, and through various spins in a kitchen or a party.

I love him.  He was the first man in my life and the biggest and best gift he gave me was the knowledge and strength to pick out the right man to be my partner through the rest of my life.

I love you Daddy Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment